Celebrated monthly. Must be a registered parishioner of St. Clement for at least 3 months to have child baptized. Parents and Godparents need to attend preparation classes.
THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
The Sacrament of Baptism is often called “The door of the Church,” because it is the first of the seven sacraments.
For Catholics, the Sacrament of Baptism is the first step in a lifelong journey of commit-ment and discipleship. Whether we are bap-tized as infants or adults, Baptism is the Church’s way of celebrating and enacting the embrace of God.
Baptismal Class is a prerequisite before hav-ing your child baptized. Parents and godpar-ents mustattend a baptismal class. No Children allowed to avoid distractions. (2nd Sat-urday of the month, please see baptismal schedule)
Monthly presentation and blessing Parents must bring their child for a special blessing before baptism. (2nd Sunday of the month, please see baptismal schedule)
REQUIREMENTS FOR BAPTISM
1. Be a registered member of the parish for at least 3 months. For new parishioners registration and welcome is every third Saturday of the month.
2. Please provide the following for baptism:
- Complete Baptismal Registration Form
- Complete Godparent Form
- Copy of birth certificate of the childto be baptized .
- Baptismal offering of $75.
3. Attend Baptismal Class. Parents and Godparents must attend baptismal class.If class was taken in other Parish, bring proof of attendance within the last three years.(Baptismal class offering is $30 for those who are going to baptize in other parish.)
4. Provide Letter of Permission from your home Catholic Parish. If parents are regis-tered members of another parish or do not live within the boundaries of St. Clement Parish.
5. It is very important that copy of child’s birth certificate, baptismal offering, letter of permission (if needed) must be in our office no later than the day of the baptismal class.
CHOOSING A GODPARENT FOR YOUR CHILD
These are the qualities needed for someone to serve as a sponsor:
- Be a baptized Catholic who has received the Eucharistand has been Confirmed.
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Be a practicing Catholic who participates in the Eucharistic celebration on Sundays.
- Give a good example of living their Catholic faith.
- Be Willing to encourage the child to develop and grow in the Catholic faith.
- Godparent must be single or married by Catholic Church.
- The two godparents do not necessarily have to be of the same marriage.
- A baptized non–Catholic may not be a sponsor but may serve as a witness alongside a Catholic sponsor. Together they carry out the role of godparents in the baptism. Non–baptized persons may not serve in the role of sponsors or witnesses.
Private Baptism Info
Please call the office, (510) 582-7282, to schedule an appointment regarding private Baptisms.
Register at our Parish today!
8:00 am English
8:30 am English
5:00 pm – English
8:00 am – English
9:30 am – Spanish
11:00 am – English
12:30 pm – Spanish
6:30 pm – English
Saint Clement Parish
750 Calhoun St.
Hayward, CA 94544
Phone: (510) 582-7282
Fax: (510) 582-1875